Groups are a highly effective vehicle for people to learn about themselves and integrate others’ experiences into their perspective of life. Under the guiding hand of an experienced psychologist, group therapy is a highly effective way to learn concepts and skills that can help you in various aspects of your life.
How group therapy helps you to:
- Meet like minded people who are experiencing similar situations from all walks of life in a safe social environment
- Be exposed to information that can help you
- Learn new skills such as coping skills, communication, conflict resolution
- Role play new skills and perspectives ready for life situations
- Share life experiences
- Often more cost effective for those on a budget
The groups offered at Wisdom Health include:
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- Living Beyond Pain
Living Beyond Pain: Pain education and coping skills program
Do you have ongoing pain that is affecting your mood, functioning or quality of life? Then this course is for you. Based on the latest evidence in pain science, this 4-week group program will introduce you to the principles of active pain self-management.
What will I learn?
- Hurt doesn't mean harm: Understand how the brain processes pain and why pain can persist even when an injury might have healed.
- Take the pressure down: Learn how to use relaxation and meditation techniques to calm your body and ease the burden of distressing pain-related thoughts and feelings.
- Busting the boom-bust cycle: Fine tune how you approach exercise, housework and daily tasks using pacing to avoid pain flare-ups.
- You're not alone: Connect with other people in pain who understand what it's like.
- Start now: Set some achievable goals and learn how staying engaged and active helps you to live beyond your pain.
Rob Schütze is a Clinical Psychologist specialising in pain management. He is involved in several pain research projects and has published in leading international journals. He is an adjunct lecturer in psychology at Curtin University and co-owns The Yoga Space in West Perth.
The Yoga Space
6/79 Colin St (cnr of Mayfair St), West Perth
Days & Times:
Usually runs each school term - contact us for dates.
$280, including book, CD and handouts.
Medicare and health fund rebates may apply.
Bookings Essential. Call 6161 3848 to book & pay for your course.